Is this okay

My doctor just change my med from (Ziagen, Viramune and 3TC) to Efavirenz, Nevirapine and Abacavir is this normal? I'm kind comfused, please help.

Response from Dr. McGowan

I would double check with your doctor to be sure there was not a miscommunication about the medication.

There would be no benefit to add efavirenz to nevirapine. They are in the same class of medication and if the virus is resistant to one it is usually resistant to the other. Also one study (called the 2NN study) showed that combining them together lead to no benefit but caused increased toxicity.

I agree, the combination is not one that would be recommended.

Best, Joe

Treatment
how fast does therapy work?