Concerned internet user

July30,1998 Dear Dr. Cohen, I recently found this site "the body" through immunet. I am an adoptive parent of a little boy, who will turn 8 in two weeks, who was born HIV. His diagnosis changed to AIDS after he had pcp when he was 2 months old. Luckily he responded to treatment of bactrium. We've been on all the antiretroviral therapies and he's been basically healthly with the exception of chicken pox and two bouts of shingles. We do alot of supplementing to enhance his well-being and hopefully his immune system. There is alot out there, not only in the US but in Europe, on wellness. When I read I often read alternative books on nutrition, herbs, homeopath,etc...... My point to writing you..... at thiis site where you answer questions I found an alternative section. I chose to write to you because I read your response to the person who wrote to you about coconut milk. It may not do anything but it does a few things: gives us hope to keep searching for anything that may work,doesn't make us feel dumb and gives you respect for respecting a poosible solution from another field. Sherri

Response from Dr. Cohen

Thanks, I read all of your question and comments.

The field of alternative medicine is one of ideas and impressions and that is for some a place to start, and to build on what else we can do with meds. But there is not a lot of 'solid' information, at least not in a way that many clinicians can feel confident with. So there are some who will more likely dismiss these approaches due to the lack of information. But others are more open to such exploration -- this is why there are many voices sharing these sites.

Thanks for writing. and good luck in your search.

CC

Echinacea and Antibody Testing
Use of oral aloe vera juice & spirulina