Swine Flu

I will be taking a cruise to Mexico in a week. Considering the recent outbreak of the swine flu should I seek Tamiflu or a preventative measure from my HIV specialist before going? Thanks HIV+ 2 Years cd4=500 VL=263 No Meds.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

The situation regarding the swine flu outbreak is changing rapidly. The CDC has now lifted its advisory against non-essential travel to Mexico. Decisions need to be made on a one-on-one basis with your medical provider. Caution should be advised for people at higher risk for more severe illness if they catch the flu (people with low CD4 counts from HIV, as well as the very young and elderly, and those with chronic lung and heart disease). You should carry a first aid kit. There is no recommendation to take tamiflu as prevention unless you have been exposed to a known case of swine flu. It is best to plan your trip well and stay up to date on the latest information. A good site is the CDC website: http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/

Vaya con Dios, Joe

Resting Cells
Re: Once AIDS, Always AIDS