Rash with Bactrim/Atripla

I have been taking Bactrim and Atripla for a month now and just a few days ago I ran out of Bactrim. The next day I developed a rash on my hands and my lips were dry. The rash is more like dry skin with fine bumps and at times get very itchy. It has since spread to my back and arms. Before I was diagnosed with HIV, I was on Levaquin and once I stopped taking the med had a similar reaction. I don't understand why I am having these rashes when everything else seems to be fine and also after I stop taking the medication (no rash while I am taking it, only after I stop.) Could it be just side effects of my HIV?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Rashes to Bactrim (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole) are very common and can start usually around 10 days to 2 weeks after beginning meds (but may take longer). About 10-20% of people will also have a rash (usually mild) to Atripla.

Rashes starting after meds are stopped would be unusual, and would generally be more of a timing issues...in that it would have happened anyway. The medication can stay in the tissues of the body for several days after the last dose, so even though you are not taking it, the rash can still spread before going away. Most rashes get worse when you RESTART a medication to which your body had previously been "sensitized". Depending on how bad the rash is it may fade if you keep taking the mneds ("treat through it") or get worse. If you have any fever or mucous membrane (mouth, vaginal, anal) sores, than you should make sure you speak with your medical provider ASAP. HIv can cause a rash that comes and goes rather quickly...that generally happens shortly after becomming infected. Other itchy rashes (such as EPF = eosinophilic pustular folliculitis) happen with low CD4 counts.

Good luck, stick with your meds and talk to your doc if the rash doesn't get better.

Joe

Swine flu
Resting Cells