Jun 9, 2009
I have been hearing in the news about the recent outbreak of "Swine Flu". Is there anything about which we HIV+ folks should be aware other than the usual precautions for the flu?
Thanks for your work with this site!
| Response from Dr. McGowan
Thanks for your timely question and compliment.
We in New York have had our hands full with swine flu. So far the cases have been relatively mild, even in my patients with HIV infection. The usual precautions should be taken. If you have symptoms of the flu (fever, chills, body aches, sore throat, cough) let your medical provider know ASAP. You can start medication (tamiflu) which may lessen the symptoms and is best if started within a couple of days. If your CD4 count is low and you have been exposed to a case of flu than preventive treatment could be started.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Neuropathy After Biting Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Painful Urination After Sex With Stripper Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Rectal Bleeding After Getting A Tattoo Worried I Have HIV
- Testicular Pain After Swallowing Precum What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Tingling In Feet After Anal Sex Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling In Fingers After Receiving Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.