Swine flu

I have been hearing in the news about the recent outbreak of "Swine Flu". Is there anything about which we HIV+ folks should be aware other than the usual precautions for the flu?

Thanks for your work with this site!

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your timely question and compliment.

We in New York have had our hands full with swine flu. So far the cases have been relatively mild, even in my patients with HIV infection. The usual precautions should be taken. If you have symptoms of the flu (fever, chills, body aches, sore throat, cough) let your medical provider know ASAP. You can start medication (tamiflu) which may lessen the symptoms and is best if started within a couple of days. If your CD4 count is low and you have been exposed to a case of flu than preventive treatment could be started.

Best, Joe

Why Did My Doctor Wait?
Rash with Bactrim/Atripla