Need of Once Daily

I have been HIV positive for 4 years now. I am allergic to Norvir and because of depression can not take Sustiva. I was on Epzicom once a day and seemed to work for about a year. Now I am starting Isentrees, Zerit, Viread. I have to take the isentrees and zerit twice a day and viread once a day. Is there a once daily treatment out there I could take? Thank You

Response from Dr. McGowan

Once a virus starts to develop resistance to medication it becomes harder to treat. This often adds an additional challenge to people who find it difficult to take medications due to schedules or side effects (as in your case). Unfortunately there are not alot of ooptions for a once-daily treatment for you right now because you can't tolerate norvir or Sustiva (or Epzicom which could be used with Reyataz once a day without norvir). If you can take your medications now to stay out of trouble (that is, get your CD4 count up) there may be some options coming in the not too distant future. A tablet form of Norvir may be available later this year and may be easier for you to take than the old capsule. Studies are being done to see if Isentress can be given once a day. There is another medication in the same family as Sustiva (called Rilpivirine or TMC-278) that is once a day that may be available in the next year or so. So if you can keep the lid on your virus there may be options to simplify things in the future.

Best,

Joe

Recently positive
medication