Life time

I'm a 26 year old male. i was diagnosed on Jan 14,2009. I started Atripla on march 10,2009. My load was over 100,000. Now on June 5th,2009 my load was 300. How long is my life span and what may be the complication that cause my death if any.

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am glad to hear that you are having a great initial response to therapy. At this pace, if you do not miss any doses of your meds, your viral load should be undetectable very soon. That is the key to long-term success and survival. No one knows for sure how long you will live, but it is now most likely that you will die WITH HIV, not FROM HIV. Our current treatments have added 20-30 years of life expectance, but the good news is that each year that number gets better and better. Since you are so young you can expect the most benefit in years of life gained. The more experience we have with treatment and the more time we have to make measurement, the better things look as far as life expectancy. In one study, once a person had their virus undetable for 5 years and kept their CD4 count over 500...the life expectancy was the same as a person without HIV! So take care of yourself, stay on your meds and plan for the future.

Best,

Joe

double dose/overdose
Recently positive