Septrin intake.

I was recently diagnosed HIV+ and my CD4 count is 754 and have no symptoms or any disease. My Doc says this is good and no point to put me on ARV's.However he has prescribed for me Septrin 500mg tabs and says i have to take them for the rest of ma life.Is this necessary? And what is the side effects of Septrin being an antibiotic?

Septrin (trimethorpim/sulfamethoxazole, aka, Bactrim) is a antibiotic that is routine given to persons with HIV infection and CD4 counts below 200 (to prevent PCP or Toxoplasmosis).

I don't understand why your doctor would prescribe this to you, "for life" if your CD4 is over 200.

Septrin or Bactrim is usually well tolerated, but can cause a rash or sun sensitivity in a minority of persons.

I hope this helps, BY

Infection via eye mucosa and PEP-last post -thank you
Duranivir (Prezista) new strength pills and resistance risks