I am HIV+ 30 days ago

I just find out that I am HIV+ 30 days and I like to know when is the right time to start meds?

I travel overseas, I see meds are good to take them every 12hrs at night but when I travel, with the time changes, are there any way I could work the timing out?

I hear people stay with out med. for about 10+ years, healthy and fit with doctors supervision, is it a good idea?

Since I check up often with my Dr. and I feel fine so far and CD4 and VL are good, when would it be the time to start the med? At point of CD4 and CL?

I am taking supplemets like CQ10. Multi-Vitamin, Fish oil, Vitamin D, Selium and Max Amino Acid daily, I feel fine but I like to check with your suggestion on this supplements?

Thank you very much!

Peter

Response from Dr. McGowan

Dear Peter,

I am glad that you are thinking about your health and prepared to do whatever you need to keep healthy.

The best time to start treatment has become a very individual decision. Treatments are better tolerated now than in the past and we hope will have fewer long-term side effects. Also information about the effects of HIV on the body is growing. Guidelines from the CDC, Interational AIDS Society-USA, the European AIDS Clinical Society (EACS) and the British HIV Association (BHIVA) set a minimum standard that treatment should start at a CD4 count of 350. People who have kidney disease due to HIV, chronic hepatitis B, are pregnant, or older may start at higher counts. The decision should be based on a discussion with your doctor to see where you are on the risk/benefit scale.

Best,

Joe

Switching cocktails
cushing