Once AIDS, always AIDS?

I was dx w/ advanced AIDS + aids-related cancer (NHL).....now I'm in remission and my cd4 count is 400, up from 22......so am I still considered an AIDS case/AIDS patient? My HIV Dr. says he doen't know... what's up w/ that? I though CD4 200 and below was considered AIDS. thank you!!

Hello and thanks for your post.

It's great to hear about your recovery and health.

Your question is one that is the source of some confusion- but fortunately, one that is largely related to epidemiologic more than health risks.

With previous NHL or CD4 count of less than 200- you have an AIDS diagnosis. For maters of medical documentation, or program eligibility, you have AIDS and this term will follow with you. On the other hand, so long as you stay on HIV treatment, you should not be at great risk of having any future AIDS-related complications. I'd take the later view from a day-to-day perspective.

So, thanks for reading. Live life abundantly.

BY

Infection via eye mucosa and PEP-Follow up please
Only Truvada as PEP