Risk of Resistance After Stopping Meds

I recently ran into a snafu with my change in health insurance, and could not afford my combination of Truvada, Reyataz, and Norvir for about 5 weeks. On my Doctor's advice, I went ahead, once I got the insurance issue settled, and restarted my combination. How likely am I to experience resistance to one of these meds, and is Reyataz the most vulnerable because it is a PI?

Hello and thanks for your post.

Generally speaking the risk of drug resistance after a discontinuation of all HIV medications is very low. Indeed, contrary to your question, it's generally felt that ritonavir (Norvir)-boosted protease inhibitors, like atazanavir (Reyataz) are less vulnerable to emergent drug resistance than non-nuke-based treatments.

The key thing would be to keep a close eye on your initial viral load drops now that your back on treatment. I'd expect (if everything is good) that your viral load will decline rapidly to undetectable. If it doesn't, it raises the question of potency.

Be well, BY

Reyataz monotherapy?
Infection via eye mucosa and PEP-Follow up please