Isentress Side Effects

Hey Doc,

I have been on Atripla now for about 9 months. My doctor is very happy with the results.

Started at 20,0000 VL and CD4 of 20

I have been undetectable almost immediately and currently cd4 of 154

I have been toying with the idea now for almost the entire time for switching to Isentress as my doctor as said that it should work for me and that switching at this point while un detectable should not be an issue. My reason for the consideration is simply because unlike many I do not exactly enjoy the idea of being the star of my own action movie every night. When I go to sleep I would prefer to rest and sleep and not exactly be active.

I am reluctant to switch for a few reasons and I just wanted to get your thoughts.

1. Other than the EXTREMELY vivid dreams and sometimes being tired during the day I suffer from almost no gutt issues, hives or stomach sickness and when i read up on Isentress it appears that almost 20 percent of those taking this drug suffer from that vs a much lower on the drugs in Atripla. If I had to chose between active dreams and vomiting there would be no consideration there for me... I dont like the dreams but i hate diarrhea and vomiting even more.

2. I feel almost silly complaining about this particular side effect when i see so many people dealing with much more in depth issues.

3. While I dont miss doses I have heard that the Isentress does not have nearly the half life so taking them every 12 hours is crucial without much difference. Currently I vary in my Atripla by a few hours every day.

Lastly if one drug is working for me I fear changing to another drug before this one stops.

I realize I have said a lot but I am wondering your opinion of Isentress and if your patients tend to have a higher rate of stomach side effects and rashes that I currently am not experiencing with Atripla.

Thanks so much

Hello and thanks for your post.

I'd agree that it appears that your side effects are due to the efavirenz component of your Atripla--

A switch to raltegravir (Isentress)could be considered in this circumstance, sine you don't have any obvious reason to be concerned about existent drug resistance. By and large, my patients have rarely complained of any side effects.

1) Ralteravir shouldn't cause any significant GI side effects.

2) No side effect is silly, it's really an issue of how much it may interfere with your normal daily activities and whether there's a suitable alternative

3) The timing of taking raltegravir isn't that critical- so I wouldn't worry about punching the clock, but rather to aim for about 12 hours, or just twice daily.

4) If unexpectedly, you have side effects from the raltegravir, don't worry about having burned efavirenz (or Atripla)-- you could simply switch back.

Hope this helps. Be well, BY

resistance test result
Very worried, missed two doses