resistance test result

hello doctor,

i was diagnosed to have acute HIV in december 08. in march i was still symptomatic. my labs were 10. february VL 91.000, T4 210,7% 23. february T4 178, 9% 5. March started Truvada/ Kaletra /Septrim 7. April VL 1.800, T4 230 , 14%

I also recieved the resukt of drug resistance test, called Truegene HIV 1, Mutations RT: V118I, V179D Mutations PR: none

to all single Meds the interpretation says : no resistancy.

I checked the results against the Stanford resitancy database and see a different result:

It says potential low level resitance to all NNRTI.

I was thinking to switch away from Kaletra to NNRTI because i have still diarrhea as side efect from time to time.

Can i still use NNRTI? Which interpretation is correct? The truegene or the Stanford? And which other possibilities would exist to switch Meds?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thank you for your question. As you stated, the V179D mutation causes low-level reductions in susceptibility to the NNRTI class and as such may compromise the response to an NNRTI containing regimen by allowing the virus to get "a foot into the door" on which NNRTI resistance could be built. Your resistance pattern says to me that the virus you were infected with had been exposed to NNRTIs. For this reason, I would NOT switch to a NNRTI containing regimen given your resistance profile. You and your doctor could explore if other boosted protease inhibitors may be less likely to cause gastrointestinal side effects such as diarrhea. An integrase inhibitor based regimen may also be an option to explore with your provider.

dying with AIDS
Isentress Side Effects