The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

what is the best PEP to always have ready if needed?

May 17, 2009

Hi Dr. Many thanks to all of you helping us with a lot of love. I am HIV+ for about 7 months, I am on Atripla for the same time my VL<40 & CD4 800 & CD4%47. My question is that in case I am having protected sex with my wife and the condom break for example what does she need to do immediately and thereafter? What is the best, simplest and most potent PEP to have always ready in that case and for how long to take it and how to take it? I am patiently waiting your valuable answer. Thanks in advance.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Since your HIV is undetectable on Atripla your risk of transmitting HIV is very low. There are no definitive studies of which treatment is best to treatment is best to prevent transmission of HIV after sexual exposure. Based on current guidelines, perhaps the best option in your wife's case is Truvada (tenofovir/emtricitabine) as soon as possible after exposure and for four weeks. Efavirenz which is also part of Atripla can cause birth defects and is not recommended in women who are pregnant or are capable of becoming pregnant. Therefore, I would not advise her to take Atripla or Sustiva since they both contain Efavirenz. Your ongoing condom use is the best way for her to avoid exposure to HIV. Thanks Joe

Atripla in the pocket in a hot country

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint