Switching Meds

I was on Combivir Sustiva for like 8 years then my doctor wanted me to stitch to Truvada and I have gained way to much weight on it to be happy and I was wondering if you think that the Truvada is the culprit. I am off meds now and my doc is not happy but I am a quality verses quantity guy and I know my body. I have been poz for 22 years and the first 13 were not on any drugs at all. My doc was going to put me on Prezista and Truvada but I am concerned because I am alergic severly to sulfa drugs. Please help me I am so confused what to do? Thank you for your time.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thank you for questions. I have not seen weight gain specifically with Truvada to be a major issue. I have seen weight gain or restoration of weight over time on antiretroviral regimens that achieve viral suppresssion so this is something you may have experienced on your Truvada containing regimen. As for Prezista and your sulfa allergy, I would say that if Prezista is felt to be an important and necessary component of your anti HIV regimen, then you should be watched carefully as there can be cross reactions when one uses Prezista in the setting of a known sulfa allergy.

ARV's and Alcohol
Storing Atripla