ATRIPLA OR RALTEGRAVIR+TRUVADA?

Hello my name is Luis:

Today I have been given two option treatments: atripla or Raltegravir+Truvada (but this one as a trial because it has still not been aproved in Spain). Finally i have choosen Atripla because I thin I will always have time to change it Atripla doesn't fit to me: Am I wrong? or is already better to start with Raltegravir and Truvada? I will keep you inform about side effects with atripla....

Hola Luis and thanks for your post.

Either options would be very reasonable-- the first, Atripla is widely prescribed and endorsed in most major treatment guidelines around the world. It is the industry standard for effectiveness and has the lowest (1) pill count of any HIV regimen. Atripla isn't for everyone though; persons with active psychiatric illness, kidney disease or desire for pregnancy probably shouldn't take it.

The second option, Truvada+raltegravir (Isentress) has shown very promising results in the STARTMRK study. This was a double blinded, placebo-controlled study that compared Truvada +efavirenz (Sustiva, Stocrin) to Truavada+ Isentress- the study showed very similar overall effectiveness, though patients that recieved Isentress had faster viral load drops and fewer of the typical psychological side effects of Atripla. The downside is a small increase in pill number (3) and twice daily dosing of Isentress. Isentress is likely to be fully approved for first-line treatment in the US in the next few months.

Entonces, buenos suerte con su decision y su salud.

BY

Have taken Atripla twice
Efavirenz