Artipla Meds for Co-Infection Patient

I am planning on starting my treatment and am concerned about my liver and want to make sure that I take the correct meds. My Dr. wants to start me on Atripia. Is this the best med for HCV patient or is there a beter mix of meds to start with.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thank you for your question. I have successfully used Atripla (Tenofovir/FTC/efavirenz) in many patients who are co-infected with Hepatitis C. It is probably the combination of choice in patient initiating treatment for their HIV who also have Hepatitis B infection. In any patient but in particular patients who have active liver disease, I follow for signs, symptoms and laboratory values that might indicate an exacerbation of their hepatitis C infection. Obviously during the initial stages of treatment one needs to more vigilant. As to your question if Atripla is the best combination...this is hard to generalize. There are certain boosted protease inhibitors that I would avoid in patients with co-existing Hepatitis C infection but I do not have any single preferred regimen like Atripla.