Undetectable for 2 yrs, but CD4 dropping

Was dx'd w/ advanced AIDS and CNS non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (stage IVc) cd4 was initially 196 .... went through chemo and rituxan (was dx'd superinfected EBV+HIV+HBV+HCV.... in remission for lymphoma 2 yrs. then went for HCV therapy w/ interferon/ribavirin ... and cleared HCV after 6 wks, but stayed on threapy for 48 hellish ... been off interferon and ribavirin nearly 5 mos. but my cd4 count after conclusion of HCV treatment was 80, same as it is yesterday. Always on Atripla + Ziagen (300 mgs) for first 2 yrs., now just on Atripla last few months.... totally adherent. Also on bactim std dose 3 x wk, and 1200mg Zithromax once a week. Why won't my Cd4 count start to go up? I've been HIV undetectable since I started HAART and just came back undetect. again. Are the antibiotics causing my cd4 to be suppressed? Thank you very much. My dr. says cd4 "may" rebound "in time" but says they should have started to go up by now. He says I could start Isentress w/ Atripla, but "it's up to me" Hmmmmm, I thought Isentress was for last ditch viral load reduction for resistent pts..... not somebody who's undetectable like me. Thank you for helping all of us!

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thank you for your question. Immune recovery can be complicated. In your case by the lymphoma and the chemotherapy used to treat it and more recently by the treatment for your hepatitis C viral infection. Restoring your CD4 count post HCV treatment can take a while. I would ask your doctor a few questions. What is your CD4 count percentage? Does the low CD4 recount reflect an overall depletion of your lymphocytes or is it preferentially related to lowering of your CD4 cells. I would also ask if it is possible to switch off the Bactrim to another anti-PCP agent like atovaquone. I think your current regimen is appropriate given your viral load response (I am presuming that your viral load was previously high and is now below the level of detection...i.e not an issue related to non B subtypes...your doctor will explain what I mean by this). Finally, immune activation can lead to a faster depletion of CD4 cells. So, in this situation, I always do a thorough evaluation to exclude infections or other opportunistic conditions. Good luck Joe

JUST INTERRUPTED MY MEDICINES
Hiv Viral Load Drop 300,000 Copies to 650 in 4 Weeks