which Medication Best with kivexa??

I am HIV+ since 1989. I started my first medication in 1996 with AZT. Then Added 3TC then Ziagan which is TRIZIVIR. two years ago we changed to KIVEXA and Atazanavir(400m.g) My viral load is undectatable and CD4 count is always above 600. I am not happy with Rayataz because of side effect discoloration. I am thinking to change to something else what is your adivice? Thank you.

Hello and thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear that your having side effects from atazanavir (Reyataz). Fortunately, abacavir+3TC (Kivexa, Epzicom here in the US) has been extensively studied with a variety of so-called third drugs.

If you wanted to stay with protease inhibitors, there have been a lot of studies of Kivexa with fosamprenavir (Telzir, Lexiva in the US) with or without ritonavir-boosting. There are also studies with lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra). If one wanted to change from PI to NNRTI, there are also large clinical trials that support the use of Kivexa with efavirenz (Sustiva).

None of these options will result in the yellowing of the skin (jaundice) that you're experiencing.

I hope this is helpful, BY

New in town and need new doctor
Isentress in stool