starting medication

Dear Drs.,

I'm 28/male/asian with no major health problem. I was diagnosed +ve 2 months ago... i had my cd4 count last week n it was 520.

According to my Dr. He will usually start medication with Combivir (AZT + 3TC) and efavirenz, n i can get it for free ( here in malaysia ).

I keep on reading ever since, i get scared with AZT n hope than i have better options. I read about getting generic version of Atripla in Bumrundgrad Hospital in Bangkok for a reasonable price n that looks better for me.

What is your personal opinion over this? Do help me. Thank you for your time and god bless for your wonderful efford.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

Although Combivir and efavirenz is now considered an "alternative" treatment in the treatment guidelines on the US, it had been (and still is) one of the most widely used combinations for many years. The main reason for its move from a preferred regimen was the potential for toxicity, especially the effect of AZT (zidovudine) to cause anemia and changes in body fat. While atripla would have less potential to cause these toxicities, there has been considerable variability in the quality of generic versions. If the generic version does not reliably contain the proper amount of active drug, the regimen may fail with development of drug resistance despite perfect adherence on your part. At least the effects of Combivir/efavrenz are known and monitoring can be done.

I wish you good health always.

Joe

double dose of Atripla
should I do PEP?