Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Switching medications
May 2, 2009

Hi, Im currently on Truvada (1 a day) and Raltegravir (2 a day) and im finding it difficuilt to maintaine the regime due to my work schedule. I have been placed on this as im a long haul flight attendant and my Dr feels this is the best treatment option for. I have been on meds for 5 months and I Have an undectable viral load and my cd4 is 500. When placed on meds my cd4 was 300 and viral load was 9000. Do you have any recomendations for once a day treatment, and that does not involve storing medication in the fridge? many thanks. Jamie

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am glad you are doing well with your medications. Twice a day medications can be tough, especially when your schedule is erractic.

There is a study being conducted to see if Raltegravir is safe and effective to use once a day...If you are able to stick it out till the results of that study are available that might be best since we know that combo is working.

Other once a day combinations may be possible, but may not be right for you for one or more reasons..the most imortant would be the presence of any drug resistance that may have been transmitted with your virus, you should go over that with your doctor/health care provider. If there is no resistance, then Atripla is a once a day combo. However, the medication can cause sleep disturance and nervous system side effects that could make it difficult for a person in your line of work (which is the reason your doctor did not recommend it, I'm sure). Another possibilty would be truvada with once a day Kaletra, a boosted PI. The issues are: it is 4 tablets of Kaletra daily, and diarrhea is not an uncommon side effect. Those are really the only options for someone with your CD4 count and need to avoid refrigeration.

One good thing also that may help is that a Norvir tablet that does not require refrigeration is expected to be available shortly, that could open up options for you, again if you can stick it out a bit longer.

Best of luck, Joe

Previous
afraid even if protected sex with hiv husband
Next
Recently tested hiv +

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.