champixHIV

Is there any known interaction between HIV medication and Champix (varenicline)? Is there any contraindication for AIDS patient to take Champix? My brother is on AIDS since 2007. His on ARV(Anti Retroviral) till now.. Can he use Champix?

thanks a lot Doc.. Chen Nie, from Indonesia

Hello and thank you for your post all the way from Indonesia.

Smoking and HIV are thought to be a particularly bad combination-- one that seems to increase the risk of empysema and lung cancer (HIV patients are at significantly greater risk of lung cancer than the general public). For this reason, I'm particularly interested in strategies that help interested person in reducing their tobacco dependency. To this end, varenicline (Champix) has been a welcomed and very effective means to helping my patients quit smoking.

There aren't any significant drug-drug interactions between Champix (Chantix here in the US) and HIV medications.

Best to your brother; don't hesitate to write back with any follow up or questions.

BY

Is it safe for Hiv Positive people to take Acyclovir?
TPHA POSATIVE