Is it safe for Hiv Positive people to take Acyclovir?

I am hiv positive and have genital herpes. I am not on hiv meds yet.My cd4 count is 540/21% viral load- 24000. When I have a herpes outbreak I take Acyclovir 800 mg- three times a day for five days. I've read of a recent study that says this medication can cause you to develop resistance to current hiv therapies. Im very concerned. WHat are your thoughts

Hello and thanks for your post.

There's no risk of HIV resistance from acyclovir. Indeed, there is data that treatment of herpes with acyclovir (or other HSV medications) may actually have benefits in lowering HIV viral loads and decreasing the rate of CD4 decline (in untreated HIV+ persons).

Hope this helps, BY

Traveling to Ghana this summer.
champixHIV