Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

my sister
Apr 23, 2009

hello sirs, in Decemeber my sister's cd4 became 87, cd8 821 and percentage 10.5. This is lower than what it had been a year ago when the percentage was 16.In late february the CD4 became 93 and CD8 845 percentage being 11. What do you make of this? Is resistance going on? There has been some accumulation of fat on her back and in the belly too.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thank you for your post.

Where does your sister live? Because you've not mentioned a viral load test, I'd guess that she lives outside of the US or Europe.

I'll assume that your sister is taking combination treatment for HIV; if so, I'd expect that her CD4 absolute count and CD4 percentage should increase over time. Is she currently adherent to her HIV medications? Does she have other active issues? The differences between her values in December and February are probably not significant, but a drop from a CD4% of 16 over a year is concerning to me.

Are viral load tests available?

In the absence of viral load tests, a repeat CD4 in 2-3 months would be in order. Otherwise, a viral load test should be run- if her viral load is detectable, this would be suggestive of resistance.

I hope this is a helpful start. Please feel free to write back with follow up or other questions.

BY

Previous
Rectal Bleeding
Next
Timing of meds

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.