Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV+ w/ shingles vax
Apr 22, 2009

I read the article "When Will There Be A Shingles Vaccine for HIV-Positive People?" (http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Meds/Current/Q200410.html?ic=700101), where Dr. McGowan says, "It would be best to wait to see the results of that study before making any recommendations." My PCP advised I should get the vaccine a few months ago. I'm a 36 yr old HIV male, VL undetectable, CD4 >300 for over 6 years. Should I be concerned that my PCP gave this vaccine to me? So far I have not noticed any contraindications, and my VL/CD4 have remained consistent.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your post. The recommendation I made is one that would be applied generally. Individual cases must be considered one at a time. Right now there is no evidence that giving varicella vaccine to a person with HIV that is suppressed and who has maintained a CD4 count at a high level is at increased risk of having an adverse event. There is also no evidence that the vaccine would add any benefit for that person either. Currently the vaccine is recommended for people over the age of 60. Therefore, in general, it would be best to await the clinical trial to see the benefits and risks of the vaccine in people with HIV before making a general recommendation to use it routinely. As in your case, this is a matter that should be discussed openly with your medical provider to see what the benefits may be for any individual.

Thanks, Joe

Previous
Am I at risk?
Next
high appreciate your work

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.