going to US w/o meds?

Dear Doctors,Tks for and a great site!I need to go to NYC fr 1 week and am unable to bring my meds due US law restrictions!I am currently under a protocol and should really need my meds. Is there any way I can get thise meds in NYC for one week? My meds needed daily are: Isentress(raltegravir),TMC125,Prezista(darunavir),Viread(tenofovir),Norvir(Ritonavir).I am very worried and would like to know if and where I can get this meds in NYC for 1 week and not stop my treatmnt?Wud appreciate yt help.Tks a lot in advance.

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am not aware of any place that you can get a week supply of your meds (without paying for them out of pocket with a prescription) in New York. Do you have a contact to whom you could send your medication in advance to hold for you?

The problem you describe is one of the main reasons that the outdated restriction on travel of HIV infected persons to the USA is disgraceful. It is discrimminatory, serves no demonstrable public health benefit, fosteres individuals to cover their HIV status, promotes non-adherence with therapy and is specifically burdensome on people traveling from developing countries.

Previously Suzie Subways had addressed this issue on thebody.com and made this recommendation: "To be on the safe side, travelers-to-be should consult with an immigration practitioner who is familiar with HIV travel restrictions to the United States. For individual consultation, contact the GMHC Legal Services Department at 212-367-1040 or the AIDS Law Project at 215-587-9377. Questions can also be sent to hotline@gmhc.org. The UK's NAM offers more information about entering the U.S. with medication; see "Traveling with Medication," www.aidsmap.com/en/docs/F302D11F-2568-4AF3-9C5F-205ACE027BC1.asp. "

Good luck,

Joe

how does one become resistant to Medication ?
Am I at risk?