When to take Medications

I have a friend on dialysis and is HIV positive. His medication says take after dialysis but he takes it before. Is there any harm in what he's doing

Hello and thanks for your post.

Many HIV medications are eliminated from the body via the kidneys- for this reason, dialysis patients are to take their HIV medications after, not before their dialysis.

Taking the medications prior to dialysis means that much of the medications will be cleared, leaving lower than desirable levels in the body until the next dialysis session.

If your friend were my patient, I'd have him shift the dosing time and certainly bring this dosing/adherence issue to his doctor's attention. It would be important to check a viral load test to make sure that he's still suppressing his virus.

BY

Ziagen Donation?
Switching from Viracept/Combivir to Atripla