How did I develop a resistance Part 2

Dr. Young,

Thank you for your prompt reply and thorough response. Your answer confirms what my own Dr. told me. He also confirmed the test, and it was indeed correct. He has changed my medication to: Truvada Reyataz Norvir I should note my CD4 counts are 407 and V-Load is 650.

I begin the new regime tonight. I have been told that 3% of patients turn yellow while on Norvir and if this happens I will have to change meds again. My Dr. also said I should feel better since the Sustiva was really bothering me.

Are there other side affects I should be aware of while on this combination? I am most afraid of the body dysmorphia that sometimes accompanies the medication.

Thank you once again.

Hello and thanks for your follow up.

The regimen that your doctor has chosen should be very well tolerated and effective against your virus. Further, the assessment of risks of skin color changes and improvement in Sustiva side effects are correct. Should the skin changes be unacceptable, know that there are certainly alternative protease inhibitors that could be substituted for the atazanavir (Reyataz).

The risks of body changes are not thought to be high with boosted PI regimens (though older views of this subject had thought so).

So, I hope this helps. Stay in touch and let us know how things go for you.

BY

Allergic Reaction
VL jump; time for meds?