Type & duration of PEP

Hi DR. thanks a lot for your valuable work. I am a married man who was diagnosed recently with HIV and already on med Atripla with undetectable VL, my question is: If I am having protected sex with my wife and suppose the condom break (for whatever reasons) what is the best PEP to give her and for how long (how many days). Thanks for your help.

Hello and thanks for your post.

PEP is most effective when given as soon as possible after the exposure. Since Atripla is suppressing your virus, it's reasonable that either tenofovir/FTC (Truvada) or Atripla would be a good PEP should your wife be exposed.

I'll often try to have a pre-emptive discussion with my patients in your situation; to make sure that either of these options are reasonable and safe for your wife.

In any event, PEP protocols recommend treatment for 28 days (4 weeks) after an exposure, with HIV testing near to baseline, and thereafter (usually 1, 3 and 6 months).

I hope this helps and wish both of you well.

BY

CD4 Origins
Oatmeal and absorption