For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Exposure to likely positive individule - pep started

Thanks for this website!

My question: I recently slept with someone ive been aquainted with for years but not friends. I was the top. I used a condom but foolishly put my head in briefly without one but did not engage in any full penetration unprotected. It came to my attention that this individual is HIV positive. He did not tell me this when I asked him that night. I immediately went to the ER they took some blood samples and prescribed 14 days of emtricitabine, tenofovir, lopinavir, and ritonavir. I have been tested before and negative each time (playing safe helps) but given this information what would my chances be of becoming affected? The direct contact was brief but ive heard it only takes one time and there was definitely skin to skin contact. None of the doctors I saw have much experience with this so I was hoping the experts could help. Many thanks.

Hello and thanks for your post.

From the sounds of it, your risks of acquiring HIV are pretty low- this is because you were the insertive partner (top) and started on a three (well, four to be accurate) drug PEP within 72 hours.

How low the risk is for you is difficult for me to tell with accuracy, but I'd imaging it's probably in the 1% or less range.

The key thing for you at this point is to continue to take the PEP medications for the full 4 weeks if at all possible. Perhaps more importantly is to consider the circumstances that put you at risk this time and to try to prevent the situation from happening again in the future.

Best of health to you,

Grapefruit interaction ??
How did I develop a resistance .