PEP HIV

I had condom burst, and I initiated a PEP after 30 hours. But due to unavailability of medicines at my place of stay, I am only taking Lamivudine 300 mg per day, I am unable to combine it with Zidovudine or other drugs as they are not available here. Please advise if Lamivudie alone is sufficient, will it offer some resistance to Virus in absence of other durgs.

Stefan

Hello Stefan and thanks for your post.

If you were the insertive partner, your risk is probably pretty low- nevertheless, PEP can be indicated in your circumstances. Usually, we'd recommend a 2 NRTI regimen in such situations, but if only lamivudine (Epivir, 3TC) is available, it's the best you can do for now.

The big issue is whether the virus that you might have been exposed to is 3TC resistant, hence the usual recommendation to take more than one medication.

Best of luck, BY

Change of meds mid-PEP regimen
gene therapy trials for hiv...