Change of meds mid-PEP regimen

I had a high risk exposure (as a bottom) and started on Truvada and Zerit within 12 hrs. At 60 hrs, I was switched to Truvada and Zidovudine. I am reading now that Zerit and Zidovudine can have negative interactions. Could the change from Zerit to Zidovudine on Day 3 negatively impact the effectiveness of PEP? Do either hurt the effectiveness of Truvada? How is Truvada as a stand-alone PEP? Also, what do you think of Truvada and Zidovudine as a regimin? Thank You

Hello and thanks for your post.

I'd question if your doctor really understands PEP. A triple NRTI regimen such as Truvada+Zerit is generally not recommended for PEP. Since both d4T (Zerit) and AZT are chemically similar, a switch from one to the other shouldn't change the overall potency of a regimen, but they should not be used together.

Depending on the type of exposure, two drug regimens (such as Truvada) can be used. For higher risk exposures, three drug regimens that include (typically) a protease inhibitor are recommended.

I hope this helps and wish you well, BY

Please clear my doubt
PEP HIV