Did I start meds too soon?

Can heavy stress cause a drop in t-cells and a rise in viral load?

In '94 I lost my partner to AIDS and then again in '96, I lost another after a long illness; I was working full time and at the hospital the rest of the time caring for him. This was day in and day out. He told me to have my counts checked and I was at 204 and 120000 vl. I started meds then.

Since being on meds, I have never had higher than <50 vl. and t's have always ranged between 750 and 1300. My last test came back at 1270 and 0 vl and a 1.5 ratio.

I would like to know if the stress of taking care and eventually losing my second partner, along with working a normal 40 hr. job and living with this damned disease, could have lowered my counts and, if so, should I have waited to go on meds.

In hindsite, there is nothing I can do about that decision now, but constantly wonder if I could have avoided this damming lipo syndrome that, for some reason, is alluding every one. Personally, I think it's an ingredient in the meds, that can be taken out, but that's just my opinion.

When will they figure out this damming side effect? It'd be nice to have a nice body again, I mean, I do work out enough.

Thanks, Dom

Hi Dom,

Thanks for your post.

If your CD4 count of about 200 was confirmed, then you definitely didn't start on medications too soon. Indeed, there is a growing opinion that with today's well tolerated medications, that we should be starting sooner than before- perhaps with CD4s in the 500 range, maybe even higher.

Paradoxically (and in contrast to your thoughts), all that's lipo isn't in the medications. In fact, a CD4 count of 200 is associated with increased risk of lipo, irrespective of medications.

Yes, earlier use of d4T (Zerit) was clearly associated with causing lipo, but so was having very poorly controlled disease and low CD4s. I'm concerned that meds could still be better, and there's some data that implicates efavirenz (Sustiva and part of Atripla) as a risk factor in fat loss.

For now, treatments for lipo are suboptimal and poorly covered by insurers.

So for now, it's best to stay healthy, exercise and keep the bugger HIV away from your CD4s.

Best of health to you, BY

HIV & Chemotherapy
not on meds - insomnia