Pancreas - severe pain

Thank you for maintaining this website.

I have been on daily Atripla for 12 months. I've been undetectable and CD4 above 400 for the past 8 months. Everything seems to be working fine except:

Since last week I have been experiencing severe acute abdominal pain that radiates to my lower back. I take hidrocodine and it rereleves the pain. My HIV doctor is out of town and I am getting concerned that I am might be experiecing pancreatis. The pain is not constant but more like a flare but it is very severe. Could this be a side effect of Atripla? What should I do? Please help me.

Hello and thank you for your post.

It's difficult to diagnose pancreatitis without laboratory diagnostics (usually a blood test). The medications in Atripla are not commonly associated with pancreatitis, though rarely, associated with irritation of the liver or kidney injury.

So, I'd be discussing your symptoms with your doctor. If very severe, as you note, I wouldn't wait for your HIV doctor to come back into town, rather call his or her office to find our who's on call; or go to your local emergency room.

Hope this helps and that you get better soon.

BY

Serocomversion delay by vitamin C
HIV & Chemotherapy