Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Shingles Vaccine For HIV+
Mar 30, 2009

When will the new approved Shingles Vaccine be available For HIV+??? I had shingles once 2 years and my Dr. told me to take valtrex to stop it from coming back, like many patients, i am not perfect, and i am not taking the valtrex because I have enough problems with just Atripla even after ten months. When will the new approved Shingles Vaccine be available For HIV+??? Please help.

Thanks

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question. Current CDC Guidelines state that the Shingles (or Zoster) vaccine should not be given to Persons with AIDS or other clinical manifestations of HIV, including persons with CD4+ counts less than 200. The vaccine is licensed only for people over the age of 60, so it is not clear if it should be used for people with HIV at a younger age.

There is a clinical trial called ACTG 5247 which is planned to give zoster vaccine to people with HIV and CD4 counts above 200 (half of participants with CD4 200 to 349, and half with CD4 counts above 350) to test it for safety and effectiveness. It would be best to wait to see the results of that study before making any recommendations.

Best, Joe

Previous
New Drug added to my regiment
Next
Generic Drugs

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.