Cryptosporidium oocyst

Greetings from the Philippines!

Hi Doc BY,

Hope all is well!

Last Sunday I got tested positive for cryptosporidium oocyst (via Acid Fast Stain for TB - Stool)and I my doctors told me that its okay and since there is no medication needed to treat this and considering that theres also no available drug here to treat that. I would like to ask if its life threatening or any future complications? Or any alternative drug that I can buy outside Manila?

Thank you so much.

Rico

Hello again Rico, and thanks for your post.

If you're asymptomatic with regard to diarrhea, then the best treatment for cryptosporidium is HIV medications that improve your CD4 count (especially since there's no specific treatment available in your country).

Cryptosporidium can cause terrible diarrhea in persons with very low CD4 counts, but if I recall, your is not so low.

I hope this is helpful, BY

HIV and the common cold
transmission to child