Truvada/Nevirapine Combo

I'm on Truvada and Nevirapine at the moment which is three pills once a day. I want to switch to Altripa as it is a one pill, once a day treatment, any advice?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thank you for your question.

The switch from Truvada and Nevirapine to Atripla is basically a lateral move in regards to likely response. Atripla consists of 3 medications: tenofovir and emtricitabine (which are both in truvada which you are already taking) and efavirenz. Efavirenz is a non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NNRTI), which nevirapine is also. HIV that is resistant to one would likely be resistant to the other and virus that is suppressed by one is usually also suppressed by the other. So the switch from nevirapine to efavirenz (as part of Atripla) could save you 2 pills a day. On the other hand, there are some side effects to efavirenz that you may experience: rash, or nervous system effects (such as vivid dreams, dizziness, trouble sleeping, trouble concentrating). The Atripla should be taken on an empty stomach, preferrably at bedtime to "sleep off" some of the CNS effects (if you should have them). Most people adjust well to the medication. You should bring this up with your health care provider to have a more detailed discussion to weigh the pros and cons.

Best, Joe

My problem
AIDS & CKD