YELLOW EYES

I have been on truvada, reyataz and norvir for three days now and the entire white of my eyes has gone yellow. it scares me because the leaflett that came with the meds said if any of these rare but serious side effects happen, contact your doctor. So I did, I am waiting to hear back from him. If you could give me any feedback, I would love that, thank you!

Hello and thanks for your post.

Yellowing of the eyes (icterus) occurs in about 3-5% of persons who receive ritonavir-boosted atazanavir (Reyataz). While this side effect is not medically significant, it can certainly be an appearance-related concern- especially for those who work in a public setting.

The symptom can improve somewhat with staying well hydrated and can diminish somewhat with time.

If the yellowing is severe, we usually find that the improvements are modest, often prompting a change to a different boosted PI that doesn't cause this side effect (namely, fosamprenavir (Lexiva) or darunavir (Prezista)).

Either way, I would let your doctor know about your symptoms, but it's certainly not an emergency.

Be well,

BY

What medications are available to someone with AIDS & Stage 4 Kidney Disease
RE: Viral Load Blip/Liver Enzyme