Getting used to Atripla

Hi Dr. Young, thanks for your excellent work and dedication. I am taking Atripla always around 10:30PM about two hours after diner, in the first month or so I used to feel some kind of dizziness (drunk feeling) now I feel much better almost nothing is like taking any normal medicine tablet, I can stay sometimes awake two hours after taking Atripla and feel Ok, my question is: is this a sign that the drug were working fine in the beginning and not working now? Or it is normal and nothing to worry about as this is the way a drug tolerance should be after a while? I am worried that I am getting used to the drug and that it will stop being effective down the line, please help. Thanks for your valuable answer.

Hello and thanks for your post.

Your improved efavirenz (Sustiva/Atripla) side effects by no means indicates a lack of effectiveness, but rather is the usual pattern of adjustment.

The best measure of the long-term success of the medication is your viral load changes and your ongoing adherence- as simple as that.

Thanks for reading and your comments, too.

Best of health, BY

time of taking medicine
Low CD4 count and Cryptococcal Meningitis