resistance building up?

Hi Doctor,

I have been on Truvada and Sustiva for the past 3.5 months. Pre-treatment labs were 99 CD4, 600000 VL. 1 month after HAART they were 150 CD4 1800 VL. Now after 3 months, they are 181 CD4, 1900 VL. My doctor thinks the slow rise in CD4 is not alarming, but the lingering VL seems to worry me. Do you think I might have drug resistance issues soon?

Thank you for your help!

Hello and thanks for your post.

Your viral load responses are actually fine, in my opinion. Since you started with such a high viral load, it's not unusual to see viral loads stay detectable longer. One way to rethink this is to look at the percentage or log drop- a 99% drop from 600,000 copies takes you to 6,000 copies. Your viral load drop after one month is closer to 99.5%- indicating that your medications are very potent against your virus.

I'd expect further decreases over the next months-- close monitoring is always indicated, and if in doubt (and certainly while your viral load is greater than 500 copies), a drug resistance test can be obtained.

Be well, BY

Taking Viagra with Atripla
simple lexiva vs. norvir boosted lexiva