Lowering my dose of Norvir

I have been positive for 6 years. I started meds 3 years ago. My regime: 300 mg Epivir/300mg Viread/2 pills of 700mg Lexiva/2 pills 100mg Norvir DAILY. Since the first time I started meds I have been undectable and have stayed that way. My t-cells are in the mid 400's. I have a new doctor (by no choice of my own) and he wants to switch my Viread/Epivir to Truvada and reduce my 2 pills of 100 mg Novir down to 1 pill a day. This regime has been working like a charm, but he insists that 2 100mg Norvir is totally unecessary and that TRUVADA is simply exactly the same as taking the Viread/Epivir. What do you think I should do. I always say don't fix something that is not broken. Is he on the right track or not???

Response from Dr. McGowan

From your question, it appears that you are on your first regimen. Since you are undetectable and you don't have prior protease inhibitor experience, there are clinical trials data that 100mg of ritonavir daily is a sufficient dose to boost Lexiva (fosamprenavir)1400 mg daily (2X 700mg). As for the viread/epivir being switched to truvada....I agree that although this is not exactly the same (epivir is not the same as emtriva or FTC), a virus that is currently suppressed by epivir will also be suppressed by FTC or emtriva. With your doctor's suggestion, you will go from 6 pills a day to 4 pills a day...so the suggestion is reasonable Thanks Joe

Reyataz / Norvir
dual infection