Reyataz / Norvir

Hi Dr McGowan, There was an episode in which I ran out of boosters for two days. Will this have compromised my treatment response for the future. I was undetectable at the time (and still am). Also, occasionally, I have my combo (two nukes and boosted ATV) WITHOUT food. This is because I have psychological difficulties associating food with medicine (my stomach is cramping up just thinking about it). Is it essential to have it with food. My understanding is that boosted PI regimens are very potent and forgiving. Thanks and take care. M.

Response from Dr. McGowan

The fact that you were undetectable at the time you missed the doses of ritonavir (taken as a booster) gave you some element of protection when the level of your atazanavir (reyataz) temporarily dipped. As long as you are diligent going forward taking your medications it is very unlikely that you will have compromised your treatment response. As for the food, it is not essential that you take your medication with food as long as you are able to tolerate this approach. Thank you for your questions. Joe

TPAH
Lowering my dose of Norvir