Giardia Infection

Hi Doc me again I'm 52 yo. My tcells are now up to 364 they were 295 the last time I posted a question, they rose by 69 in 2 weeks is this good and can i expect more increase "Infected in oct 2008" do you think I should start treatment my next appointment is this coming Tuesday. Also my doctor gave me prescription of zythromax for Giardia infection is this a proper med for this infection I read that metronidazole is the correct med for this infection thank you for your time. Steve

Hello again Steve,

First off, with regard to your CD4 counts, I'd probably interpret them as very similar (at least within the typical variation)-- or to simplify decision making, average the two tests, to yield a baseline CD4 of about 330.

With a value in this range and age greater than 50, if you were my patient, I'd recommend starting on treatment for HIV. You needn't start immediately (or at your next appointment), but I'd be having some serious discussions about which treatments are best for you and your other medical conditions.

As for the Giardia; azithromycin is not a typical, nor recommended treatment-- indeed metronidazole (Flagyl) is what should be given.

Be well, BY

Resistances
l am taking meds for the first time...