Resistances

Do you I have a resistant in my current regime or i can continue taking meds and see if viral load will drop. I am presently taking: Novir and InviVase. 6months ago my lab test result were as follows: CD4 430 and Viral load 350. In Jan 2009 latest Test Results as follows: CD4: 680 and Viral load 8995. Do I need to worry for the high jump of the viral load and though my CD4 improved dramatically. I have been on ARVs for the past 10years and I have been on the current regim for the pas 3 to 4 years. What steps should I take. My Doctor requested I change meds but first he said I should do a reistant testing?

Hello and thanks for your post.

Your viral load increase is indeed concerning- a level of 9000 in an adherent patient makes me worry about emerging drug resistance. The fact that your previous viral load wasn't undetectable further raises this concern.

I'd suggest repeating the test; or at the very least, before making any change to your regimen, a drug resistance test (genotype, phenotype or both) is very highly recommended.

Let us know how things turn out.

Best of health and good luck, BY

HIV and Antibiotics
Giardia Infection