Lexiva and Truvada

I'm on lexiva 700mg twice a day. Is there any problem NOT taking the ritonavir boost if a patient is PI naive and diligent about taking their meds? Also, for people with kidney problems it is alright to take Truvada QOD; what about people who don't WANT kidney problems? Does weight matter? I'm a 105# female and don't think I should have to take what a 220# man takes.

Hello and thanks for your post.

While it's generally recommended to use protease inhibitors with low-dose ritonavir, some protease inhibitors, like fosamprenavir (Lexiva) can be used without ritonavir in certain situations. There is probably a little drop off in performance and slightly increased risk that drug resistance could emerge if one has treatment failure; nevertheless, you accurately point out that in the PI-naive, adherent patient, these risks should be lessened.

As for tenofovir (part of Truvada, Viread), unless one has very significant chronic kidney disease, you should not take the medication every other day, as this likely exposes one to lower than acceptable drug levels (increasing the risk of treatment failure, and even PI resistance). Your total body weight isn't the real issue in the dosing of tenofovir, but rather your kidney function- since the 220# person has essentially the same size (or function) of kidney, there isn't a dose adjustment for this medication with total body weight. If aversion to kidney disease is really needed, the correct response, in my view, is either to not use tenofovir (using, instead, abacavir (part of Epzicom, Ziagen) or to monitor kidney function in blood and urine very closely.

I hope this helps. Be well, BY

tongue fungus and others
Reyataz/Truvada