tongue fungus and others

dear doctor, i wrote you on 18 feb regarding my VL=49000, CD4=150 and %CD=8.8. i am taking tenofovir, 3TC and efavirenz evening. Bactrim and flucozole in the morning. my tongue still with fungus (white). how to treat it? I took flucozole for 2 months already. When i found out HIV+ on dec 08, I have also sore throat(very pain). i took avelox after biospy, then it was healed one month ago. i then started taking ARV.But my tongue still with fungus. Another problem, I have asthma attack sometimes (from very young). I use seretide 50/250 and turbuhaler. are these inhaler med interaction with ARV med? my doctor always said that i look okay physically and it all depend individual person. But CD4=150 is under criteria of AIDS. Do you think that my situation is serious? Kindly advise me.

Hello and thanks for your follow up.

You indeed have AIDS with a CD4 count below 200.

If after 2 months of fluconazole, you still have white lesions on the tongue, your symptoms deserve more evaluation. Either it's not thrush- most likely- or you could have fluconazole-resistant thrush.

In the former case, it's not uncommon for persons to mistake simple white coating of the tongue- sometimes this is geographic tongue, or normal sloughing of the taste buds- both normal conditions. In the later- usually in persons with advanced HIV and drug resistance (doesn't seem to be your case), drug resistant Candida emerges after months of failing fluconazole treatment.

It's also possible that the inhaled steroids could be exacerbating the problem; here making sure to rinse your mouth with water after your breathing treatment is of use; also to make sure that the steroid dose being used is the lowest possible can help.

I hope this helps. Be well, BY

menstrucation
Lexiva and Truvada