Drug Names

I like reading all the experts advice but I have to say it gets very confusing when the patient with a drug question refers to it by the Brand name and in the answer the expert refers to it by is the medical name. Can you experts please keep it consistent by using the Brand name and if you MUST use the medical name too just put it in parenthesis next to the brand name EACH time? Sorry if this is extra work but it's hard to keep things straight especially since most times in combo therapy more than one drug is being discussed! Thanks for all the help.

Thanks for your post and comments.

All of the medication names can be very confusing indeed.

I try to use generic names for medications-- in part to avoid the over commercial aspect of medical advice, and in part, because in many parts of the world, the trade name medication is not what's marketed. There is just too much potential that the advice that we give is perceived as another marketing tool for the pharmaceutical industry.

That said, as a general rule, when co-formulated products are discussed, I'll use the trade name. Also, whenever possible (or when I remember to), I'll include the trade name in discussions (but in parentheses- exactly the opposite order that you suggest, but I hope you understand).

Be well, BY

what does these lab results mean?
Reyataz/Truvada without Novir