Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Drug Names
Feb 23, 2009

I like reading all the experts advice but I have to say it gets very confusing when the patient with a drug question refers to it by the Brand name and in the answer the expert refers to it by is the medical name. Can you experts please keep it consistent by using the Brand name and if you MUST use the medical name too just put it in parenthesis next to the brand name EACH time? Sorry if this is extra work but it's hard to keep things straight especially since most times in combo therapy more than one drug is being discussed! Thanks for all the help.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post and comments.

All of the medication names can be very confusing indeed.

I try to use generic names for medications-- in part to avoid the over commercial aspect of medical advice, and in part, because in many parts of the world, the trade name medication is not what's marketed. There is just too much potential that the advice that we give is perceived as another marketing tool for the pharmaceutical industry.

That said, as a general rule, when co-formulated products are discussed, I'll use the trade name. Also, whenever possible (or when I remember to), I'll include the trade name in discussions (but in parentheses- exactly the opposite order that you suggest, but I hope you understand).

Be well, BY

Previous
what does these lab results mean?
Next
Reyataz/Truvada without Novir

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.