Drug interaction XANTHIN

Dear Dr.

I was thinking of taking a natural antioxidant to help my diet. It is called Xanthin (by natura) it comes from the microalga haematococcus pluvialis and I was wondering if there are any known interactions with t> i.e. combivir and/or stocrin (i think it is sustiva in the US). Most grateful for your advise. Thanks

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The main anti-oxidant ingredient in Xanthin is Astaxanthin which is used as a food dye. Laboratory studies have shown that astaxanthin can effect the way the liver metabolizes certain medications. It may induce liver metabolism (and therefore lower the blood level) of some medications used for HIV treatment (in your case stocrin). Since there have been no direct studies of this possible drug interaction , it would be best not to use the XANTHIN along with stocrin.

Best,

Joe

Taking a second drug holiday with just Trizivir
HAART Therapy & Graves Disease