Taking a second drug holiday with just Trizivir

I am taking this 2nd drug holiday after being undetectable for 10 years with diffferent meds with an average of 800 T-cells. My first drug holiday in 2000 was due severe stomach pain after taking Viracept and Combivir. It took three years for my T-cells to drop to 400 and vireal load to 72,000. (Diagnosed with 600 T-cells/76000 in 1997. After trying combinations of drugs, I can only tolerate so far Trizir which I have been taking till now. My previous two doctors did not prescribe INH since I was TB-positive in 1997 but chest x-ray is normal. My third and current doctors is now recommending INH. Is it now necessary after all these years. And if so, can I take a second drug holiday so that my liver would be taxed to limit in terms of known possible side effects?

Response from Dr. McGowan

I would not recommend a drug holiday if you need to use INH prophylaxis. If your virus is suppressed with Trizivir, I would stick with it. You should have your liver monitored by blood tests while you are on the INH. Also, do not drink alcohol while you are on INH, it can cause a very severe reaction.

Good luck, Joe

Treatment of Skin Rash Allergy due to Atripla
Drug interaction XANTHIN